Friday, May 25, 2012

Entry from Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal Day 159


Two days ago, I wrote about my mishap in the canyon of the eastern fork of the Upper Cerulean River where I fell, crashed into some granite boulders and lost part of our food supply in the river. At the time, I bruised my ribs. At night in the canyon, I noticed tiny crystals on the surface of the granite began to glow faintly blue. I collected some crystals believing them to be saffira, a form a radia with healing properties. Legion chemists have not had much use for saffira as we generally focus on forms of radia that can be used as weapons or for mutation or other uses in our experiments. For instance, white nethite is used in the radiascopes which magnify images of specimens so we can see their basic structure. White nethite is very volatile and can also be used in weapons, like spear tips, to cause explosions that can further damage an ememy. There have been instances of chemists blowing their hands or heads off changing the nethite crystals in their radiascopes. Another use for white nethite is as a key component to a sextant guide, used when traveling. White nethite responds to the different magnetic fields that exist in rings that stretch around the length of Rynaga. Different parts of a white nethite sextant will glow depending on which direction you are heading. Sarion legends say that white nethite was used by our ancestors as a guide in finding this planet. If this is the case, however, the knowledge of how white nethite might have made travel through space possible has been lost through the ages the Sarion have spent colonizing Rynaga.

I digress; the saffira radia crystals I found might help my ribs heal more quickly. I have wrapped them in cloth and bound them to my side over the bruises. If I have guessed correctly, the saffira crystals should make my ribs feel better shortly. The Akrasa people are said to be masters of using saffira radia. Perhaps if one tries to make contact with us, I may learn more effective ways to use the crystals and share this knowledge with other chemists when I return to Katena.

No comments:

Post a Comment