Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Entry from Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal Day 1


Day 1. A new journal. A new page. A new expedition. A new life for me, Kilkarak. Chemist. Formerly of The Catalyst Foundation. Formerly of Katena. Exiled. Crushed by my colleagues. Shunned for conducting experiments with lethal and unusable results. Ha. I laugh in the face of my detractors, my critics. As if Legion chemists have not performed experiments that harm and kill. Yes, these have been conducted on prisoners from battles or from the people we have conquered, but it is still done willfully, with full understanding that the experiment will harm the subject. My subject died due to accident, due to some unforeseen circumstances that I have not been able to recreate since. No, the moral grounds for my exile are a simply a smokescreen for jealousy over my discoveries. Those who run the Catalyst Foundation cannot stomach the fact that a chemist on the fringe of the inner circle could make such a startling and useful discovery as I have.  I have lost my wife and my home. All that remains for me is my knowledge and all that remains for me to do is to prove my knowledge is correct.

I should not say all that remains is my knowledge and my quest for vindication, I have my only son, Dashyl. He will be my sole companion on this expedition. It will be a chance for me to really learn about my boy, learn about who he is, who he may be. My studies and ambitions have not allowed much time for parenting. If I should be forced from my laboratory, from my vocation, it should be for that reason alone, to be forced to spend more time with my son. Is his mind sharp enough for scientific inquiry? We shall see. Is he up to making this journey?  Am I up to making this journey?

200 days. I have planned to be gone for 200 days. This should be an adequate amount of time to collect specimens and material. Perhaps by that time,  my last true friend, Bilkarar, will have been able to secure a secure space in which to continue my experiments, a space sequestered from the eyes of the Catalyst Foundation. This journey will provide me with supplies and some answers, but it is only the first step to reach the final answer that will propel my future and secure my position as the greatest chemist in the Legion.


*****


Finished with the first entry, Dashyl put his father’s journal under his pillow and fell asleep instantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment