Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal Entry Day 9...Addendum

Beer! Beer, beer, beer! I could never have imagined something could make you feel so…tingly. I tingle from my lips to my toetips. My head won’t balance on my neck. Forgive my handwriting, it is dancing across the page, up and down, like the hills of my homeland. These words are spilling from my fingers in big golden drops on this page. At the tavern, I had the fortune to meet a brew master from Hiroja. I forget his name…something like Hoarg, Foarg, Schmoarg-a-boarg-a-dilly-doo. How do I write laughter? Boarg and I became fast friends over a pint of fangwail pale ale. I gave him a fake name but I may have let it slip that I am a chemist. We had a delightful conversation about specific gravity and how to combine different ingredients and where they are harvested. We compared compounding methods and ratios. Ratios. That word looks funny, ratios. Is that how you spell it? My next pint was a bitterot brew and I do believe I went blind after my first sip, but I kept up the conversation, not letting on that my world had gone dark. However, when my sight came back, my new friend was gone. How long had I been talking to myself? Had anyone noticed? I’m glad I was in disguise. If any of my friends saw me, I would be banished from the Catalyst Foundation. What am I saying? I am already banned from the Catalyst Foundation and I have no friends. Well, except Jarax, who should return at any moment. And my son, Dashyl, who is asleep on the soft bed next to the writing table. Peaceful. Enjoy the peace, son. Once we reach the Tanglefern Thicket, all luxury and comfort will vanish from our lives. Perhaps I could take some beer with us. I do believe that is one of the best ideas I have ever written down. Good night.

***

Readers, please forgive my entry from this night. I am not proud of the frame of mind this entry reveals, but for the sake of true and accurate reporting of this expedition, I will leave it intact for future readers. – Kilkarak

No comments:

Post a Comment