Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Entry from Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal: Day 10

Sick. Worse than any sickness I have ever felt is this after-ale malady that has settled upon me. Was I poisoned? This cannot be how everyone feels after imbibing their fair share of fangwail pale ale and bitterot brew, can it? Upon awaking, the contents of my guts soon came spewing forth. I was in such a dizzy state that I could not find the chamber pot quickly enough and I am afraid I left quite the mess in our room. Dashyl and I had to leave quickly because I overslept.

Jarax had come in to wake me before he left with the decoy Dashyl, but apparently I was not able to be woken up. My friend left me a note. It saddens me greatly to think that my last communication with Jarax could be through his note. He wished me success on my journey and told me to look him up someday in Agrigane. He said I could sneak into the city under the cover of night and he would provide a disguise so I could attend his performances as a masquer. I can only hope that scenario will play out after Dashyl and I have collected our fill of specimens from the Tanglefern Thicket.

We were able to leave Histra just before first light. We had no trouble leaving without attracting attention. We avoided the roads and forged our own path slowly over the rolling hills. We have camped under an overhang at the bottom of a craggy hill. I could not travel far as the ale-sickness drained my energy and made my head pound with pain. I could not concentrate all day and told Dashyl we had to walk in silence.


Tomorrow I will be able to have conversation with my son again as we walk. We will be each other’s only companions for a long time. Now, I must sleep and hope this sickness has run its course.

No comments:

Post a Comment