Monday, June 3, 2013

Entry from Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal Day 2

Day 2. Today, we left Katena through the main arched gateway, not in disgrace, but certainly not with any fanfare. If my fellow Katenians only knew the changes in their lives this expedition could bring, they would be applauding me at my exit and awaiting my triumphant return with bated breath. No, today, only my friend Jarax accompanied us. Dashyl and I followed narrow streets and back allies and met him at the arches in the city’s outer wall. I wanted to leave without anyone knowing. Let them discover that I’ve begun my exile fifteen days early.

I have chosen to leave at the start of the Turning Days as the Varune cycle ends and the Meduna cycle begins, signaling the start of the Blossoming phase. The athids that I seek to collect will be emerging from the eggs where they have been pupating during the cycles of the Withering phase. The larvae will emerge to feast on the tremendous growth of plant life during the Blossoming phase, preparing for swarming, mating and depositing eggs during the Reaping phase. If we can travel to the heart of the Tanglefern Thicket by the next Turning Days, in four cycles when the Reaping begins, and catch the athids swarming, the collection numbers would surely be more than satisfactory and the expedition will be a great success.

Jarax will accompany us to the smaller town of Histra where we will part ways. While we head south from Histra into the Tanglefern Thicket, Jarax will be heading east, back to his birth home of Agrigane. A masquer by trade, he is auditioning to join the masquer troupe in Agrigane. He told me he misses the sea and the life of a coastal town. Katena’s weather benefits from its proximity to the coast, but Agirgane is situated right on the shores of Moonlight Bay, and Katena is a ten day’s journey to the sea. Agrigane has an open air theater where Jarax is dying to perform. I’m sure he will impress the head masquer; he has the charisma and the talent.


We will reach Histra in time to watch the changing of the fires from indigo to blue green as the phases turn. I am glad Jarax is with us, he keeps Dashyl entertained by cracking jokes, singing songs, making funny voices. Dashyl is a natural and joins in right along with my old friend, no matter if he doesn’t know the lyrics, he sings gibberish. Ah, let this jovial attitude remain with me and my son for the duration. Our journey begins on a high note. I feel optimistic about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment