Monday, June 17, 2013

Entry from Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal: Day 7

We shall arrive in Histra tomorrow. The three of us have made good time, the trip has been uneventful. Until tonight. Jarax whispered to me when we made our campfire for the night, the logs popping and cracking covered his voice. He told me he noticed someone following us. He did not know if we had been followed all the way from Katena, but whoever it is, is doing a good job at not being seen. I haven’t noticed anything, but I trust Jarax, his hearing is better than mine.

We will try not to alert our pursuer that we are aware of their presence. We will make our way into Histra as normal, but once there, we will attempt to make our trail disappear. I am looking forward to visiting Histra, a place I have never been. On expeditions past, I have traveled from Katena to Kerak before entering the Tanglefern Thicket. Kerak is the main Legion outpost in southeastern Veratar. It’s size makes it the best place to stock up on supplies in the area. It's ties to the Legion government are strong and in the past, I never had trouble finding those who would cooperate with me and assist me in reaching my goals. Histra's connection to the Legion government is not as strong and it attracts a more unsavory element, including many sarion resistant to Legion rule and law. Despite these facts, or because of these facts, Histra is our destination.  

Exploring Histra will expand my knowledge of the Legion lands and perhaps I will see parts of the thicket that I have missed before, but the main reason I have chosen to go to Histra this time is because I wish for this expedition to be known to as few sarion as possible. Being followed does not bode well for my wishes to come out that way. The appearance of one on our trail could mean my enemies in the Catalyst Foundation are keeping tabs on me in addition to exiling me. We shall see, perhaps I am being paranoid and buying into the overactive imagination of Jarax. Still, we must be careful. I will not alert Dashyl to the situation until we have obfuscated our path in Histra and are on the next leg of our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment