Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dashyl’s Dream Journal


I am flying. In blackness. Or am I…swimming? Ha, this is kind of fun. Watery, but I can breathe and go in any direction.  Wait.

There is a blue light now above me. As I move closer to it, it opens up to envelope me. But I see myself flying in a ring of blackness surrounded by blue. Sky blue. I am a grackyl. I am watching my own reflection in another grackyl’s eye in flight.

I pull back to see the other grackyl. It looks like my mother. Next to her is another grackyl flying. This one looks like my father. We are flying higher and higher into the sky. I don’t even know if land exists beneath us. My father is ahead of us and rising in circles. My mother glides between us. She is a dark brown. My father and I are black with a purple sheen to our feathers.

In a flash, a streak of red slices my vision. The sky turns a deep maroon. A bird holds onto a branch with one claw. A green bird. It’s head is covered in a red hood leaving only its eyes visible. I understand this is a bird of prey. My mother’s feathered body dangles, lifeless, from the bird’s other claw. It’s talons grasp tightly around my mother’s bird neck.

My father does not see this. His wings are still pushing him farther into the sky. I race forward to try to reach him and tell him what I’ve seen. I find him in a thorn bush like ones we would find in the Tanglefern Thicket. He is agitated. His black bird body flies around the inside of the bush looking for a way out, but he only manages to pierce his skin with thorns. There is no way I can reach him. I watch as he loses energy and blood and eventually grows still.

I am flying again. In my own body. On the velvet cushion of a seat on a golden airship. Inside the airship, it is bright. I am the only passenger. I walk to the front to see who is navigating. Behind a wheel that glows like the sun, my father smiles as he pilots the airship. There is no floor beneath us and I can see my hometown of Katena sparkling below.

But we’re not going home. I am in my father’s arms and he is holding me as we are flying ever higher. He lets go of me and I soar above him. Once again I am in blackness. The sky is a small disk of blue below me. I know I must pass through this portal to see my father again. I descend into the blue circle and everything goes white. I close my eyes because it is so bright, but I want nothing more than to open them and wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment