Friday, June 1, 2012

Entry from Kilkarak’s Expedition Journal Day 176


I fear I have grossly overestimated the amount of food we have for the return trip to Katena. A stop at the Carapid Ward at Hecatyn is surely necessary now to stock up on supplies. Though there may be a chance that the wardens there may be hostile, I can’t imagine them refusing a brother in the study of carapids. The only reason they may not welcome me, detain me, or worse, is that they somehow discovered Gareth’s poisoned body in the wilderness. But this was on the other side of Blue Hollow from the Carapid Ward and I can’t see the wardens traveling that far, that quickly, to discover his body before scavengers in the wild devoured the hunter and his igawaza’s bodies, leaving no evidence of poisoning. The only wild card is the chance that an Akrasa made the discovery and traveled to Hecatyn to report it. But we must risk it, without food, our decision is made for us.

I have decided to avoid Sunbird Lake even though we may find traders or other travelers from which to obtain supplies. Sunbird is too close to Expedition Heights, Pelatross and Anchorwatch. I prefer for my travels to remain unknown to those who might inhabit those towns. Protectorate spies and Legion agents are everywhere. The Protectorate cannot know of my experiments and certain rival chemists may try to steal what I have learned and take advantage of my vulnerable position to take claim for my work as their own. Instead, we are following the Azuris River north to Fog Rend. From what Gareth told me, Fog Rend, a misty outcropping of small peaks overlooking Blue Hollow, is where he most often encountered the starskin carapid. We will make one pass through the peaks. If unsuccessful, we will head to Hecatyn to stock up on food and return to the Rend. Death before success is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment